With this diet, you can lose up to 15 pounds for 32 days and you will lose several inches of belly fat.
Unlike saturated fats, which harden and clog the arteries, MUFAs keep blood vessels soft and pliable after digestion. In addition to emphasizing these healthy fats, the Flat Belly Diet is modeled after a Mediterranean eating approach. The key ingredients – fruit, veggies, legumes, whole grains, olive oil and fish – are thought to help keep weight off.
Research is limited, but a MUFA-rich diet appears to have a positive effect. Healthy fats like MUFAs are good for the heart and most other parts of the body. And if the diet delivers on its promise to whittle down visceral belly fat – a risk factor for heart disease – your cardiovascular health will benefit. Plus, a Mediterranean-style approach has been associated with a decreased risk for heart disease, and it’s also been shown to reduce blood pressure and “bad” LDL cholesterol.
Recipe: Grilled Chicken Breasts with Plum and Walnut Relish
Lose weight does not mean there is not. This recipe will help you in this. Sweet plums are blended with citrus zest, a little spice, and crunchy walnuts, to create a delightfully flavored, low-calorie chicken topping. Citrus zest enhances the flavor of just about any dish for virtually no calories.
- 2 med black plums, pitted and chopped (1½ c)
- ½ c orange juice, divided
- ¼ sm red onion, chopped (2 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1½ tsp freshly grated orange zest, divided
- ½ c chopped walnuts (MUFA)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red-pepper flakes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz each)
What to do:
- PREPARE relish: Combine plums, ¼ cup of the orange juice, onion, honey, and ½ teaspoon of the orange zest in medium bowl. Stir in walnuts (yields 2 cups).
- MIX oil, salt, red-pepper flakes, and remaining ¼ cup orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange zest in pie plate or shallow dish with fork. Add chicken and turn to coat. Let relish and chicken stand 10 to 20 minutes.
- HEAT grill to medium-high or coat grill pan with cooking spray and heat 3 minutes over medium heat. Grill chicken, turning once, about 10 minutes or until browned and internal temp is 170°F and juices run clear. Serve with relish.